Knoxville Shoplifting & Theft Attorneys
If you have been caught shoplifting or stealing something, you may be facing criminal charges in the State of Tennessee. Facing a criminal charge is very stressful situation, and the outcome can be very damaging.
There might be also a scenario where you have been wrongly accused of stealing or shoplifting. We at Garza Law Firm understand shoplifting or stealing is often a mistaken charge. You might have wanted to pay but forgot to pay or you have been charged when you were with someone else who stole something. We are here to help you in any theft scenario and provide you with trustworthy guidance and direction that can help you achieve a positive outcome.
Penalties For Shoplifting and Theft
Theft offenses in Tennessee has been classified in to two categories:
Theft of property involves knowingly obtaining or exercising control over the property of another without their consent.
Theft of services is obtaining services by fraud or deception, or leaving a place of business after receiving service typically paid for without paying, or receiving any service that requires payment without paying.
Your charges depend on how you have been charged:
If the theft value is:
- $1000 or less Class A misdemeanor (Up to one year in jail and $2,500 in fines)
- $1000-$2,500 Class E felony (1-6 years in prison and up to $3,000 in fines)
- $2,500-$10,000 Class D felony (2-12 years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines)
- $10,000-$60,000 Class C felony (3-15 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines)
- More than $60,000 Class B felony (8-30 years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines)
We will defend your rights and help you get out of this predicament as fast as possible.
For a free in-person case evaluation, please contact one of our attorneys to setup an appointment. We offer weekend and evening appointments for your convenience. Call 865-540-8300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to the opportunity to answer your questions.