Social Security Disability

Personal Injury Attorney | Knoxville, TN

Social Security Disability Attorneys in Knoxville, TN (serving all of Tennessee)

Knoxville Social Security Disability AttorneyAt Garza Law, we understand that when you become disabled you lose more than just your ability to work. Without a paycheck you can quickly go through your savings, find yourself drowning in a sea of debt, at risk of losing your home or vehicle, and struggling to provide food and shelter for you and your family. To make matters worse, without health insurance it can be hard for you to see your doctor and to afford medications. All of this can become even more difficult once you begin applying for disability benefits through Social Security, as many disabled persons quickly find themselves overwhelmed and frustrated by the confusing process. Knowing this, at the Garza Law Firm we have made it our mission to help bring an end to your frustration by making the entire process of applying for disability benefits as painless and stress free as possible.

PLEASE NOTE: We can handle any social security disability claim in Tennessee, no matter if you live in Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, or Knoxville. Scroll to the bottom of this page to start your claim process with the Garza Law Firm.

When you choose the Garza Law Firm to represent you in your disability claim, our team of highly skilled attorneys and legal professionals will work with you every step of the way to help strengthen your claim and put your mind at ease by keeping you informed throughout the entire process. As a local firm with offices in Knoxville and Lexington, our Social Security Disability Department focuses exclusively on helping persons seeking disability benefits living in Tennessee and Kentucky. By specializing in only this region, we are in a unique position to best understand the specific issues and challenges facing disabled persons living here. This local knowledge gives us an advantage in preparing and strengthening your claim, and allows us to present your information to Social Security in a way that will lead to the greatest chance of success. Another advantage of working with Garza Law is that we will be able to connect you with local resources and regional organizations that can help you and your family during the time your claim is pending.

We would love the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your claim and to answer any questions that you might have. You can reach us directly at 865-540-8300 to speak with a local attorney in our Social Security Disability Department, or you can send an email to At Garza Law, we are proud to have earned a strong reputation for success both in and out of the courtroom and we look forward to the opportunity to help you fight for the benefits you deserve.

If you prefer to send us an email at, we will respond as soon as possible.  Be sure to include your phone number so we can better serve your needs.

Social Security Disability FAQs

How does the disability appeals process work?

Once you file an application for disability benefits, your application is at the Initial determination level. Your medical records will be obtained and you may be sent for a medical examination. If you are denied, you have a limited timeframe in which you must file an appeal; this is a Request for Reconsideration. If your claim is denied here, you have a limited timeframe to file a Request for Hearing. There are appeals options beyond a hearing in front of an Administration Law Judge, such as requesting Appeals Council review and filing suit in the federal court system. It is vital to your case that all appeals are filed timely; an experienced attorney can ensure this.

How long will it take for a decision to be issued once I file for disability benefits?

It varies widely. At the Initial and Reconsideration levels, it may take a few months. If your case reaches the Hearing level, it may take up to a year and a half or longer for a hearing to be scheduled, depending on your hearing office location.

Can I get disability benefits due to a mental condition?

Absolutely. If you have a psychiatric impairment, the Social Security Administration and Disability Determination Services will obtain your psychiatrist’s and/or therapist’s medical records and consider how your mental condition limits you.

My doctor says I’m disabled and I should file for disability benefits. Do I need to get anything from her for my case?

Yes, if possible. However, do not bother getting a short statement from your doctor that you are not able to work or that you are disabled, as this consideration is ultimately up to the Social Security Administration. Rather, it would be more helpful if your doctor completed a “medical assessment,” addressing how limited you are, in terms of functional abilities, by your conditions. I have a wide array of medical assessments that I provide to doctors based on your specific medical condition.

How can I apply for Social Security disability benefits?

You have options. An application can be filed online on the Social Security Administration website, by phone, or you can have an in-person interview at your local Social Security field office. Depending on your medical conditions, there could be benefits to having an in-person interview. Regardless, it is important you have accurate contact information for your medical providers on hand so your records can be promptly requested and obtained.

We're here to help answer your questions

A Garza Law social security disability attorney is ready to assist — call us day or night at 865-540-8300.

Social Security Disability Client Questionnaire

Submit your information using the form below and let one of our team members review your case. There is no obligation to use one of our attorneys and submitting your information does not create an attorney-client relationship. However, it does facilitate the ability for our experts to provide honest feedback on your best approach to filing for disability.